Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Little Camper that Could

One of our favorite things to do with the kids is to get out the camper, get on the road and find a sweet spot to stay for a few days. RV resort or state park, no matter. We like the time we spend and enjoy taking off with the kids.

On our last trip, I decided it was time for a camper make-over. I knew I wanted to do a country/Texan theme and went in search of themes and ideas in the usual camper forums. Earlier this year I changed the flooring. I bought adhesive faux bois planks and boy what difference! From plain old linoleum to "hardwood floors" the change was really pretty. 
Then I found this pic
of  an adorable red-white-and-blue-camper over at Apple Blossom Dreams. I love it! Now, our camper is a pop-up so I can't change the "walls" because they are actually a vinyl canvas. However, the cabinets, benches and panels are good to go! I dragged Mr. McD down to Lowe's for some paint and painting supplies and got started right away.


It took one weekend and one quart of white paint (well, primer with a bit of white paint stirred in). Here it is still in "raw" form; tape and paper and can, but I can already tell I love it. It does make the camper look a bit brighter and cheery!

In addition to a fresh coat of paint, the camper will get all new backrest cushion covers, seat covers, valances and curtains. Don't you love make-overs?!? The dining table seat cushion covers were easy-peasy! Instead of making full covers and fooling around with a zipper, buttons or some other fasteners, I went for a fitted sheet style cover. There were so many easy "fitted sheet tutorials" on google, I can't even remember which site I went with. But I can tell you it was simple! I used a blue fabric I'd been saving for the camper. It's a sort of faded-denim blue that goes great with my intended theme. Now comes a confession: like my mother before me, I'm a fabric hoarder. I used to scold her for having SO MUCH unused fabric, but now I do the same thing and can't help it! So many pretty colors, so many cool patterns; a project has to be just right for a particular fabric to warrant my cutting into it. But I digress.

These are the remaining two patterns and they're both vintage sheets.

Aren't they adorable? The red and white gingham for a bench seat cover, the pretty striped floral pattern for dining table backrest covers. But look again, do you see that price tag?

Yes, each sheet cost me $1.80 from my favorite store....the thrift store! Now for curtains & valances and we're almost done!

signature avatar

No comments: